Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Is this impending doom?

If you haven't been able to tell from previous posts. I can be dramatic. I'm more dramatic in speech/writing than in person I like to believe.
I like to say 50 people were in line when in actuality it was probably 8 or I like to say impending doom when really I mean dread regarding a topic.

Here's my dread...
I'm reading in my Archaeological Bible tonight about my upcoming book...Judges. As you know I'm reading Chronologically so some of my readings have come from other books such as Psalm or Chronicles so far but the majority is by book. Anyway, I was reading the little summary about Judges and here's a few little sentences from the Introduction that has me worried.

1. "Repeatedly the Isrealites broke their covenant with God, lost sight of their identity as his people and experienced punishment.

Ugh...really Isrealites??? Why do you do this? What is wrong with you people???? I don't get it. God was there with them...how much more divine intervention can you get than being brought out of slavery, provided with land and your success in war being guaranteed and aided by God. You still can't figure out that this is probably the one to follow and to listen to his rules?? Ugh

2. "It was common practice in the ancient Near East to pphysically mutiliate prisoners of war, thereby rendering them unfit for future military service."
- I'm hoping this is just a fun fact to share and not something that will be referenced in Judges...you can probably tell from previous posts that I don't like reading about war, killing or mutiliation. I don't watch it on tv and I don't like to read about it. It is because my imagination is really good. I end up having dreams involving these creepy punishments or wars so I like to avoid these types of things all together.


We will see what Judges has to say.
Happy reading to anyone that is reading along.

You can always find the reading plan and get e-mails sent to your inbox for each of the readings either daily or weekly at www.oneyearbibleonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment