Thursday, February 24, 2011

Leviticus and how we should still follow this today.

Leviticus 15:4'Every bed on which the person with the discharge lies becomes unclean, and everything on which he sits becomes unclean.
'Anyone, moreover, who touches his bed shall wash his clothes and bathe in water and be unclean until evening; and whoever sits on the thing on which the man with the discharge has been sitting, shall wash his clothes and bathe in water and be unclean until evening.
'Also whoever touches the person with the discharge shall wash his clothes and bathe in water and be unclean until evening.


This is a great law. One that should probably be followed today. Little did I know that the laws of Leviticus were likely the first standards or written instructions on cleanliness and prevention of spreading of disease. Speaking as a nurse and paramedic people should refresh on these rules and consider following them!

As I'm continuing my reading of Leviticus. I appreacite the rules. I like rules. I have lots of personal rules some are just as odd as those in Leviticus but to me they make sense...so like in Leviticus the rules make sense to God. I am not sure however, with all these offering rules how one would ever remember them all and to prepare and present the correct offering.

Leviticus 18 - Simple enough and THANK YOU!! It pretty much said no incest. Lovely. Unfortunately it had to be written (thanks to Lot's daughters and others) but fortunately it was written.

Leviticus 19:11 You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, nor lie to one another. 12 You shall not swear falsely by My name, so as to profane the name of your God; I am the LORD.

No lying, cheating or stealing...got it...easy enough. well the cheating and stealing. The lying is sometimes hard for me. Just little things. I'm not a compulsive liar and I don't lie about big stuff...well, I guess I need to improve on this part. No lying...ok I'm a work in progress on this.
You shall not swear falsely by My name. Oh boy. This is hard. I cuss and swear a lot. I use the Lords name...Ugh. This is definately going to take a conscious effort and time. Especially, during the stressful situations at work.
OK....work in progress....decrease the cussing and using the lords name in vain....

Leviticus 19:17 You shall not hate your fellow countryman in your heart; you may surely reprove your neighbor, but shall not incur sin because of him.

This also will take work. Yes, I know I shouldn't hate people and I know hate is a strong word but I will try to think of the people I believe I hate and see if I really mean that or not. Hopefully I don't really mean that.

Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance,nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD.

no bearing grudges..really...none? I have a lot of work to do now. Especially if I want to improve mysef which is the whole goal Lot's of work to be done.

Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

Excellent!!! I don't have to work on this one!! Wahoo!

2 comments:

  1. "Leviticus 19:11 (AS)You shall not steal, nor deal falsely, (AT)nor lie to one another. 12 You shall not swear falsely by My name, so as to (AV)profane the name of your God; I am the LORD."

    What does the "AS" "AT" and "AV" stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...sorry that was a weird type thing from when I copied and pasted from the oneyearbibleonline.com daily reading that it e-mail's me. I didn't see it until you mentioned it! it should be corrected now.
    :)

    ReplyDelete