Thursday, February 24, 2011

stoning and an eye for an eye

Leviticus 24: 13 Then the LORD said to Moses: 14 “Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. 15 Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who curses their God will be held responsible; 16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

17 “‘Anyone who takes the life of a human being is to be put to death. 18 Anyone who takes the life of someone’s animal must make restitution—life for life. 19 Anyone who injures their neighbor is to be injured in the same manner: 20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. The one who has inflicted the injury must suffer the same injury. 21 Whoever kills an animal must make restitution, but whoever kills a human being is to be put to death. 22 You are to have the same law for the foreigner and the native-born. I am the LORD your God.’”


OK so the confusing part to me is Verse 16 says they are to be put to death while Verse 17 says anyone who takes the life of another is to be put to death. So the difference being if you take someone's life because they have not followed the rules of God versus if you take someone's life for another reason. However, it seems like there are a lot of reasons you can take someone's life and it's still ok with God.
Not that I'm looking for a reason to justify anything. I'm just curious. Mainly, because I try to think about and figure out those christians that justify their actions of murder.

Leviticus 25:3 For six years sow your fields, and for six years prune your vineyards and gather their crops. 4 But in the seventh year the land is to have a year of sabbath rest, a sabbath to the LORD. Do not sow your fields or prune your vineyards. 5 Do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the grapes of your untended vines. The land is to have a year of rest.

I like this part because it seems if we still followed this we would be grateful and mindful of our land more so than what we are. I get concerned that with the giant agricultural farms that the nature and original ways of the lands are lost. We cannot appreciate the beauty of nature and growth when it is so chemicalized that a cloud of chemicals fogs the land.

Leviticus 25: 23 “‘The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you reside in my land as foreigners and strangers.

Maybe this is a midwest farm girl talking but I really like this verse. How can you not like this verse? I love the thought that the land is borrowed. It is not our land. It is God's and we should treat it as such.

Leviticus 26:1 “‘Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God.

Here we go with the idols thing again. Do not place a carved stone in your land to bown down before it....hmmm...

2 comments:

  1. Reading Leviticus has been a challenge this month. Rules and more rules. I have appreciated that some of them actually make sense and would make sense for us to follow now. I am also grateful that I live under the new covenent. I have a heavenly father who come to earth and died for me so that I do not have to do all those rituals. I just need to put trust him and follow him. The old covenant required obedience and judgement. The new covenant requires forgiveness and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jules. I like that some do make sense. I appreciate that God was trying to set apart his people from the others.

    ReplyDelete