Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Completed Job.

Well It's February 1st. Where I live we are having a blizzard! Not the kind served at Dairy Queen either. It iced last night and we've had a lot of snow and a strong north wind all day today.
I have been so fortunate in my journey through the bible. I have really enjoyed it thus far and hope I continue with my resolution to read the bible chronologically this year. One month down and 11 more to go!
Yesterday I worked all day. It was the usual day in the Emergency Room. I did get to see our hospital chaplain. She is a lovely lady. I'm sure I've mentioned her before. She is just one of those people that brings peace and calm when she enters a room. I always appreciate seeing her even though it is often during challenging times. I told her of my journey this year and occasionally I ask her questions about my readings. I have a group of trusty advisors that I ask about different questions as my journey continues. They are all wonderful in their own right. Our chaplain has brought me a few articles about different questions I've had but yesterday she brought me a book. This wasn't just any book. It was a book from when she was in school. It's called "People of the Covenant. An Introduction to the Old Testament." by Flanders, Crapps and Smith. It's great! It has all the wonderful details of a loved book - her name on the inside, highlights, underlined parts and notes. I love it! There is something about books that people reference, write in and live through. Not textbooks but books that they read for pleasure and guidance. I love it.
Anyway, I'm very excited about this book and I've been looking at it already. On the first page it says "The old testament centers upon the action of God in the affairs of men as they react to him and seek to interpret the meaning of his action for life and faith."
I have completed reading Job. It was long, dark and ultimately beautiful. At times I felt as a child would say "why is it so unfair" but only God understands. I read in my Intro to the Old Testament book a line that said "Job is every man, reminding us that a deep and personal faith oftem comes by way of the long and sometimes dark corridor of sincere questions about the relavance of God for human existence. The book ultimately asserts that he who throws himself upon God, even though perplexed about life's evil, shall find him."
In another side reading somewhere it said that God is presented during chaos and troubling times. He does not present during only the sunny days and bliss. This is so true of what I have read thus far. Maybe it is because instead of losing faith and questioning if there is a God when times are hard we should be more like those in the Old Testament and recognize that God has reasons that we are not meant to understand and while there is chaos and sadness He is present with us most during these times.

No comments:

Post a Comment