Tuesday, January 4, 2011

books and today's reading

my internet availablility today is sketchy at best. I have discovered 2 new books that are on my wish list now. The Archaeological Study Bible and the Chronological Study Bible. They are both really neat because they are more from a scientific/referenced historical account. I really wanted to buy them the second I saw them but they were $49.99 each at the bookstore I was at. I searched them on Amazon and they were 31.00 ish so I will be making an amazon purchase soon. They are quite interesting. I also found a Daily Bible that has insights and it does help explain the daily readings. It's only $14.00 so I will get it to help me along. I think by the end of this year my household will go from having 1 childrens edition bible to who knows how many different types! There are worse things to have in your house huh?

Today's reading is Genesis 11:1-26; 1 Chronicles 1:24-27; Genesis 11:27-31; Genesis 12-14:24

This reading was challenging for me. I was having trouble understanding this reading and its' purpose to the larger picture. I did find that my trip to the bookstore and reading from the daily bible with insights and summaries helped me to understand the reading. The chronological study bible also helped to understand this reading as well.
It mentions that the people are building a city and a tower that reaches the heavens. I did not initially understand why this displeased God until the other books mentioned that it seemed as an act of defiance and self-assertive pride. This caused God to scatter mankind and create diversity in language. I will hopefully post more tomorrow providing my access to stable internet is available.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I also was confused as to why God was displeased with the building of the tower. But I guess their efforts could have went to better things. I was wondering what the world would be like if we all spoke the same language. We would probably all have the same culture. Maybe that would not be good.I was reading in the commentary that it said God did visit his people often but as time went on he does not come.

    ReplyDelete