Thursday, January 6, 2011

a slightly disturbing reading and a wonderful discovery

I will start off with my slightly disturbing reading first. Today's reading was Genesis 18:1-21:7. I had to read this a couple of times and it definitely needed to be mentally digested. Mainly Genesis 19:4-19:9 So Lot said to the citizens of Sodom (now I know where the term sodomy came from) to not touch the Angels that came to him but to instead take his two daughters and do what they would like with them.
Ok on all accounts I think it's horrible the way these people were acting but then he was going to sacrifice his two daughters for them. Oh my. I had to read this a few times. Then it was ok that God rained fire and brimstone down onto Sodom and Gomorrah and eliminated it. Whew. It was really bad there. This however according to Wikipedia is not only how the term sodomy came about but also the belief in Christianity and Islam that homosexuality is wrong. I am leaving my beliefs out of this part completely because my blog is not about judging others. That in my opinion is God's job. I believe that I am supposed to treat others equally and as I want to be treated. Ok...enough of that.
The story of Lot continues to be disturbing in that his two daughters both get him drunk and sleep with him in order to continue lineage. Ugh...I'm thinking there's a possibility I could do without the entire story of Lot. I'm not sure how this is going to be meaningful in the future...I'm sure it will but at this point...wow.

It then moves on to talk about Abraham and Sarah (who happen to be half brother/sister) and their child Isaac. Isaac means laughter which is quite fun since there is a co-worker who has a little Isaac that is just that...a kiddo that likes to laugh! How bizarre!

My new discovery... I went to a bookstore in Lawrence today. Signs of Life. It is a nice little bookstore with a Christian spin. www.signsoflifebooks.com I couldn't take it any longer...I had to buy the Chronological Study Bible in the New King James Version. I resisted an entire 3 days. Pathetic isn't it.
I did resist buying the Archaeological Bible even though they have it in a leather backed edition there!! I about screeched in the store. It is beautiful with the leather cover and gold lined pages. I'm not kidding...I might have been drooling. It was beautiful...but so was the price tag. $60.00 maybe $69.00 I can't remember...it was out of my price range that was for sure.
While I was there I met the nicest lady. She was wonderful. She and I got to chatting about my bible purchase and she really likes the Archaeological bible and I was buying the Chronological bible and she was asking me what I was doing and we chatted for a while about reading the bible and learning about it. She also encouraged me to write what I was thinking especially since it was the first time I was reading the bible. I told her about my blog and she wanted to know where to find it...So if you have found it...Hello!!! She gave me a hug and told me I was inspirational to her. But little did she know how much she made my day. I really like nice people and she just seemed quite genuine. It definitely sealed the deal that my future religious purchases will be from Signs of Life. What a lovely little store with lovely employees.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment