Friday, January 21, 2011

Job's suffering

Job 5:1-7:21
Job 8:1-11:20
Yesterday and Today's readings were the suffering of Job and his speeches with his 3 friends. I recently purchased some nice bible friendly highlighters which are more like a mixture between crayons and colored pencils. They are nice because they do not bleed through the pages. I've been highlighting in my Chronological Study Bible. Here is what I highlighted. Job 6:1 "Then Job answered and said: Oh that my grief were fully weighed, And my calamity laid with it on the scales! For then it would be heavier than the sand of the sea-" I believe that anyone that has suffered or lost a loved one can relate to this and feels their grief would weigh more than the sands of the seas.
I also highlighted Job 6:14 "To him who is afflicted, kidness should be shown by his friends"
I like this...I guess because it seems so human. That those that are suffering should always have the kindness and support of their friends. I think this is interesting because I have a close friend that said when her husband was battling brain cancer that their friends basically deserted them. I think people have a fear of how to support and be around those that are suffering. A guilt almost for being healthy. I hope that I am not that way and that I and others would face those fears and show the support and love that those suffering need so badly.

After reading through chapter 11 I think of the saying "with friends like that who needs enemies" It seems Job's friends each believe he deserves the suffering he is enduring or they don't understand why he remains with faith to God. I am amazed by Job's strength to not only endure his physical and mental torture from Satan but also his mental/emotional torture from his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment