Wednesday, January 12, 2011

my missed day

I'm sorry to my blog readers...whomever you are. I did not post yesterday. I didn't read either! I could tell too. I missed it and felt it hanging over my head that I needed to read. Today I am catching up. Today's reading was Genesis 30:25 - 31:55. This reading was about Jacob leaving where he has lived for the past 20 years with his wives Leah and Rachel. Joseph was born to Rachel. Jacob requested to leave and Laban (Rachel and Leah's father) wanted him to stay. Rachel steals from her father his household idols and Jacob and his wives and children all leave to return to Jacob's homeland. It is amazing to me that Rachel steals from her father. Laban chases Jacob down after 7 days but was told by God "Be careful that you speak to Jacob neither good nor bad." It is interesting that Rachel steals these household idols and that Laban is so insistent on finding them. According to an ancient tablet found in the 2nd millennium BC these household idols or gods were used as evidence of family leadership. This would explain why Rachel stole those items to give to Jacob so he has leadership. There are pictures of these Teraphim (household idols) online that are quite interesting looking. All the pictures I looked up were copyrighted and I don't want to get into trouble!
Happy Reading to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment