Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Today's reading took me much longer than usual. I have been sick and in bed most of the day so reading and retaining information has been challenging. Today's reading was Genesis 17:1-17:27
It was about Abram and his wife Sarai who are unable to have children. Abram tells God he is concerned because his servants children will become heirs. God them assures him he will have a son. Time goes by and his wife remains unable to conceive so she gives her husband her servant Hagar to become Abrams wife and have children. So they have a son Ishmael. Many years later God appears to Abram and tells him he will have a son with Sarai named Isaac. When this happens their names will change to Abraham and Sarah. God also creates a covenant with Abraham that all of his decendents are to be circumcised. He circumcised all males in his household including himself at 99 years of age.
It is also mentioned that all circumsisions occur on the 8th day of life.
God tells Abraham that his decendents will be slaves for 400 years but God will punish that nation and his decendents will end up with great rewards. This would be challenging to know that your decendents will be enslaved for such a long period.

I am reading from the online website but I also have 2 books I read from at home. One is the daily bible and the other is the one year chronological bible. they all have a different reading assignment for today despite the 2 books both being New International Versions. I am sticking to the website to be the ultimate reading. I was very excited to have 2 more family members join me in my chronological bible readings. My husbands Aunt and his Cousin. This is exciting because they are both much more knowledgeable about the bible than I could ever hope to be. I am hoping to have a little gathering in a month or so to chat about the readings so far. I have really enjoyed this and hope to get the two other bibles from yesterday's post soon!

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment