Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Job and More suffering....when will this end.

Job 12:1-14:22

In today's reading Job pleads with God to let him die and stop his suffering. His friends are still no help and since he is a better person that I could ever imagine being...he didn't kick his friends out like I would have. Yet one more reason he's in the bible and I'm not....aside from the 2000+ year difference.
It is always fun to me when people find out about my quest to read the bible chronologically in one year. After their initial surprise there is usually two different reactions.
1. Here's my take on the bible, my church and my opinion on how you are going about this in the wrong manner.
2. Why are you doing this and while I'm supportive...I'm confused and I'm a little doubtful you would finish it.

I have others that have great feedback and tell me their take on challenging (to me) parts. I am also typically very surprised as well at the people that are knowledgeable about parts of the bible. Its fun to see what people bring up and what they think of it.

In my discussions today I had a co-worker recommend a book to me. This happens all the time as they know I love to read. But this recommendation has me so excited I can hardly wait to get off work. A Year of Living Biblically by A.J Jacobs. Check out his website at So I initially reserved my copy at Borders but then was quickly reminded that it might be available at Signs of Life. Signs of Life being the wonderful little bookstore downtown that has a lot of religious items. I think that's where I'm headed so I can get some different Chapter markers as well for my bible. I'm sure I won't just walk out of there with just one book.

No comments:

Post a Comment