Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2

Day 2 of reading the bible chronologically. Today's reading was Genesis 4-5:32; 1 Chronicles 1:1-4; Genesis 6:1-22
This tells the story of Cain and Abel, some weird history of genealogy of the decedents of Adam living to be 900 years old and then the story of Noah being told to build the Ark.
Ok...on day 2 of my mission of reading the bible I'm lost already. Maybe more confused rather than lost per say. I know and get the story of Cain and Abel and of Noah but the part in between of the ancestry I don't get. I guess I'm confused because Cain didn't want to be left wandering, was banned from Eden and had to go to the land of Nod. Where he met his wife and they had kids...where did this lady come from?? So God created other people all over? I'm confused here. So was Adam and Eve just the first people he made then he made others in other places?
Then we get to all the ancestry stuff with Adam and Cain's decedents. They all lived for 800-900 years. Really? But Genesis 6 tells us god says “My Spirit will not contend with[a] humans forever, for they are mortal[b]; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

So this had me wondering who was the oldest recorded person to live. Thank You Google....it's Jeanne Calmet of France who lived to be 122 years and 164 days...apparently when you get that old you count the days too! More interesting is the fact that of the top 10 oldest recorded people 9 of them are women and the one man on the list's actual records of proof cannot be found..He could be an imposter! So God has kept his word that no man will live beyond 120 years...only women! Haha!

OK back to the bible.
Genesis 6:5 The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

So God was mad and didn't like the way they were and decided to wipe out the human race. This is also interesting and I'm sure I will understand this more later but I was under the impression that he liked us and was loving and kind? Well I guess he liked Noah so spared he and his family and all the animals (well two of each). This also makes me wonder how much those original animals have changed since biblical times. I do believe animals evolve over time...long periods of time but there is scientific proof that is happens and you can even see it in dogs for example. I just wonder what the animals on the Ark looked like. I wish there were more descriptions of them...maybe there will be.
This is where it leaves me God telling Noah to build the Ark.
I have read my "assignment" for today several times in multiple different versions. Last night I purchased a new book from Borders. The One Year Chronological Bible. This is so I can read my readings again in bed if I want. It goes along with the www.oneyearbibleonline.com chronological plan which is convenient. It has a nice little timeline and map too which is neat. I find that I have read the readings 3 or 4 times in different versions and thought about them often. I find that I have lots of questions that will hopefully be answered some as I continue my quest. It is entertaining that as more people at work find out the more they think it's bizarre that I'm even doing this. One of my co-workers yesterday said "I just didn't see that coming from you" It kind of cracks me up because I'm sure there are lots of aspects to my co-workers that I don't know. Well I hope you are keeping your co-workers, family and friends guessing about you as well. It's never too late to change and to learn! Happy Learning, Happy Changing, Happy Trails and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. OK 3rd try. I know it is confusing to understand how God could show anger. We are frustrating beings. We have never been able to handle free will and have not yet learned the true value of having a conscience. I think he sent Jesus to show us the way and give us guidelines to live by. Believe it or not the world is much better for having had Jesus among us.

    ReplyDelete