Sunday, January 23, 2011

A fun companion to a suffering book

Last night I purchased The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs. I started reading it and laughed out loud I'm not sure how many times. He's a clever author and this is tying in perfectly with my chronological readings of the bible.

Today I also posted on my facebook that I am reading The Chronological Study Bible. Why is this blog-worthy? Well, because there is a certain assumption people make when it is seen that others are reading the bible or are quoting scriptures. It's almost a lecturing mode. It seems that the person will start pushing their, or God's, agenda on you. They will become evangelical. Just a few steps away from a mega-church, tv and radio contract and yelling prayers with a red face.
This is pretty much what I thought anyway.
Well, I don't think that's entirely it. The more I'm reading and people that find out about my New Years Resolution the more I discover that there are lots of people like me. People that are curious, that want to believe but are afraid of accidently talking to the evangelical types and getting chastized for not sacrificing it all or living their life evangelically. Is this right? Dunno. But as a co-worker always says - It is what it is.
Anyway, I posted that I was reading the bible and I had yet another unexpected post. A cousin that said she just bought the same bible and liked it so far and to let her know what I thought. Huh. I guess I'm not any better than anyone else. I was surprised. Then I became curious. Who else was going to post about my bible?
It has taken me 22 days to decide to publically post that I'm reading the bible.
Mainly, at the influence of another book. I guess it was while reading this book and discovering there's another person like me out there that decided to read the bible and see what it had to say and why. AJ Jacobs wrote a book about his quest to follow the rules of the bible. I wasn't doing anything that crazy...I'm just reading it. I'm just reading it and even I think I might be a little crazy.

About todays reading.

Job is still suffering in my daily reading. I'm happy to have my other book to lighten the mood a little. I'm not a fan of the dragging on for days of him listening to his friends. At least he finally told them today that they weren't very good friends for coming and lecturing him. I would have told them a long time ago. A part in my other book helped me to understand Job a little. AJ Jacobs said that he was having a hard time understanding the rules of the bible in reference to the rule of not wearing clothes of mixed fibers. He said there were other rules he didn't understand but this was one of them. Why does God care if you mix cotton and linen? Well, a Shantez (hebrew for mixed fibers) tester comes to his house and inspeects his clothes to ensure he does not mix his fibers. Anyway, he asks him why this is a rule and he explains it to the author by comparing it to a child not understanding all the rules of their parents but it is in their best interest. God has rules that are in our best interest but we may not understand them.

There have been lots of things that I haven't understood but maybe I'm not supposed to yet. Maybe understanding comes with life and for some things understanding will come with death. I will not understand some things until I'm in heaven...If there is such a thing...I hope I make it there...I hear it's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment