Friday, January 14, 2011

Wrestling with God

Wednesday's reading required more thought and contemplation. My reading was Genesis 32:1-35:27. While this reading interesting with regard to the reuniting of Jacob and Esau. It also spoke of the rape of Jacob's daughter Dinah and the subsequent murder of all the males in the city of Schechem including Hamor and Shechem. Shechem who raped Dinah and Hamor his father. They then return to Jacob where he tells them of his concern that others will attempt to kill him (Jacob) in retaliation. He does not mention the concern that his two sons just killed several other people many of whom were innocent. This makes me question Jacob.
Jacob buries Isaac who dies at 180 years of age. Again, I'm confused because I thought God said he was limiting lives to 120 years.
Is everyone else living to 120 but those he chooses live longer.
hmmm

The really confusing part that required more thought was Genesis 32:22 which discusses Jacob wrestling with God. I was very confused by this passage and needed to seek the advice and reflections of others that are more familiar with the bible. I spoke with a few of my facebook friends as well as the chaplain of my hospital where I'm a nurse. She believes this to me a spiritual battle almost a vision or dreamlike battle testing Jacob's faith. I spoke with a co-worker who views it literally as God can take any form he would like and believes he presented himself literally and wrestled with Jacob.

Interesting either way you view it.

Do you have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment